The FDA is advising consumers not to use certain Claire’s cosmetic products because they may be contaminated with asbestos fibers. Beauty Plus Global and Claire’s Stores, Inc., undertook voluntary recalls of their respective cosmetic products that tested positive for asbestos during FDA’s ongoing testing of cosmetics for asbestos. The recalled products include:
- Claire’s Eye Shadows – Batch No/Lot No: 08/17
- Claire’s Compact Powder – Batch No/Lot No: 07/15
- Claire’s Contour Palette – Batch No/Lot No: 04/17
- Beauty Plus Global Contour Effects Palette 2, Batch No. S1603002/PD-C1179
- Claire’s JoJo Siwa Makeup Set, SKU #888711136337, Batch/Lot No. S180109
How did asbestos get in there?
Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that is often found near talc, an ingredient in many cosmetic products. Asbestos, however, is a known carcinogen and its health risks are well-documented. During talc mining, if talc mining sites are not selected carefully and steps are taken to purify the talc ore sufficiently, the talc may be contaminated with asbestos.
What should I do if I own these?
Consumers who have these batches/lots of Claire’s Eye Shadow, Compact Powder, and Contour in their home should stop using them. Claire’s has informed the FDA that it does not believe that affected products are still available for sale. Return these items to the store for a refund.