Summer cruisin’ season will be here soon…and I am gonna be ready!
Here is installment #1 of my series on the rebuild of my SBC 327.
I purchased a 1968 Chevrolet 327 cid motor last fall, after the 305 cid motor in my 1964 GMC Pickup started showing signs of impending failure. The troubles started just this side of Rochester, when I was returning from a car show in LaCrosse, WI.
Since I knew that the 305 was about to go, I went to the internet and found a reasonably priced engine. It was already partially disassembled by the previous owner…lucky me!
This how the motor would sit in my garage all winter. Once the temperatures started warming up, it was time to finish the teardown and start the rebuild. It is unfortunate that these photos are not scratch and sniff. The smell of old rancid motor oil is one that should really be shared.
You will notice in several pictures, I like to work on my projects at the dining room table. Needless to say, I have pretty much spent all of my “husband points” on this project. After I have this thing running, I will be completing a very lengthy “honey do” list”
The teardown actually was much easier than I expected. Just a couple of cylinders fought me when I was removing the pistons.
Now, the fun, but expensive, part. Shiny new parts! Even though my truck is a “ratrod” I gotta have some nice bling in the engine compartment. And, as my fellow car club members will tell you, I am a sucker for chrome.
Up next, I will be cleaning and painting the block, heads and manifolds. Then it will be time to figure out how this whole jigsaw puzzle goes back together.
Luckily, I have a great deal of help from my friends in the “Rust Junkie Motor Club”…and Youtube.
This is a photo of the Rust Junkies at our annual car show, which we run in conjunction with the Parkers Prairie Fall Festival. The event is a fundraiser for a deserving family in the area. We are currently working on the event for August.